Thursday, May 14, 2015

Turning a Page

It has been awhile since I've posted to this blog.  I have grown as an individual, and my interests have changed.  I recently read my very lengthy and in-depth analysis of "Batman Begins" in which I discussed the merits of Burton's version of Batman versus Nolan's.  While I believe my observations were still relevant, and many of my predictions regarding Nolan's approach to "The Dark Knight" turned out to be spot-on, I believe such observations are too nuanced for a general audience.

There was so much wrong with that post, and so much right with it.  Still, I believe Burton's approach is the one that will stand the test of time; though I think Nolan did a fantastic job adding much-needed narrative cohesion to the franchise.

The biggest mistake in that post was my intent.  Let me explain.

My interest in cinema is both academic and popular.  I love getting into the nitty-gritty details of a movie the way you would tear apart a short story in a graduate creative writing class.  I love discussing whether a particular technique disrupts audience identification with a movie, in the same way one might discuss shifts of tense in Angela Carter's "The Lady of the House of Love."  I love having such discussions even when looking at a movie like "Orca" (1977).  Such subjects are the domain of the writer, and the would-be director, and you can often hear conversations where individuals like Tarantino or Guillermo Del Toro discuss the same.

But general audiences don't really care for such.

They really just want meat.  Red, raw, bloody meat.  And they want it now.

Just like I do.

So I will be renovating this blog.  I will keep my old posts on hand as reminders of how my thoughts transformed over time.  Ultimately, my job is to get people even more excited than they already are about movies!

Hope to see you soon!


No comments: